My concrete tips
- Avoid newswire providers that rely solely on email lists or online portals. The greatest added value of a newswire lies in the interfaces to editorial, terminal and database systems described above.
- Don’t let numbers dazzle you. Some service providers claim they can reach more than the number of editorial offices that are actually out there. As described above, the quality of the transmission routes is the most important thing.
- Look at whether the online portals the newswire distributes to are relevant. Only websites with high relevance (e.g. established media) have a positive effect on visibility. Pure PR portals do not bring any added value.
- Choose a not-so popular time of day to distribute your notification. Lots of companies send their notifications out directly on the hour or at half past. If you send your message a few minutes later, it will appear high up in the ticker/system.
- The same rule applies to newswire communications as it does to any other: the content has to convince the reader.